Whilst Maya claims to have Linux support, it only officially supports RedHat and CentOS Linux. It is, however, still possible to install it on Debian and Ubuntu based systems with some leg work.
To make this work, you need to:
- Install apt dependencies, including fonts.
- Manually install the deb for libpng12, an obsolete package that Maya depends on.
- Convert the .rpm files to .deb using Alien, and install them separately from the GUI installer. Please note that the conversion will probably take quite a while.
- Add environment variables to stop segfaults and errors.
1. Install as Root
If you have already downloaded maya, then
cd to the containing folder.
If you haven’t, don’t worry. This script will download it.
Don’t worry if the Autodesk installer claims the installation was unsuccessful, it may still have worked.
Run the following script as root:
2. Modifications for each user
Then run the following script for each user you want to run Maya:
The above scripts are heavily dependent on your OS version and state, so you’re likely to have one of the following errors.
Segmentation Fault or Color Management Error Dialog
Make sure you’re running Maya with the following environment variables.
You can do this by adding the following lines to
lib*.so.*: cannot open shared object file
This means the an compile lib object file cannot be found when running it. To fix this:
- Check for an existing file with the same first segment in
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu. For example, if it complains about
libssl.so.12then look for
libssl.soin the directory.
If the file exists, then create a soft symlink like so:
ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/EXISTING.so /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/NOTFOUND.so
ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.12
Failed to install Maya in Autodesk GUI
Don’t worry about this, it may have still worked. Check it by running
but make sure to click finish on the installer and run the user script first.
References and Sources
- Script modified from https://gist.github.com/borgfriend/b83467639cb8039dc79974bf780a4994.
- Render crash on Linux, Autodesk forums.
- libpng12 on packages.ubuntu.com