This tutorial will show you how to create a new MonoDevelop solution and project, and how to properly connect it to RimWorld. You’ll need to have an installation of Mono that supports .NET 3.5 - here is a tutorial on how to install it.
- Open Monodevelop (see this guide to install with .NET 3.5 support)
- Create a new solution
- Click File > New > Solution
- Select the C# tab
- Select Library (C#)
- Enter your mod’s name into the
- Set the location to “Source” in your mod’s directory. Eg, RimWorld/mods/ModName/Source.
- Optional: Untick “Create a directory for solution”/”Create a project within the solution directory”.
- Add references to the RimWorld DLL
- In the left panel, right click ModName > ModName > References. Select Edit References.
- Go to the .NET Assembly tab
- Click browse and go to RimWorld/RimWorldLinux_Data/Managed. Select Assembly-CSharp.dll and UnityEngine.dll
- Click open and then exit the edit references dialog.
- For each reference, right click and decheck “local copy”.
- Set .NET framework to .NET 3.5
- Right click project (ModName > Modname) in the left panel and select options
- Go to Build > General
- Select Mono / .NET 3.5 in the target framework
- Set output directory
- Go to Build > Output
- Set the output folder to RimWorld/mods/ModName/Assemblies.
Some of this information was learned from this wiki page.235